Joint Division I and J conference: workshop & speech contests Sat 17 April 2010



Jakarta Toastmasters Club (Jakarta) supporters :
Left to right : Harlina, Henry, Imung, Sabaruddin, Valeriya




Networking : Harry (Jakarta), Fenty (Metropolitan), Mike (The British), Vanessa (Jakarta)



ACS/ALB Harry, ACS/CL Imung, TM Sabaruddin, TM Henry, TM Valeriya and myself were present as Jakarta Toastmasters Club (Jakarta)’s support for ACB/CL Vanessa (Jakarta) last Saturday 17Apr 2010 at the Joint Division I & J Speech contests which was part of the Toastmasters Division I & J conference held in The American Club ! Enjoy my short report and my pictures far below !

We also rooted for ACB Jhonson Sahlan (Jakarta Advance) as the representative of our Area I-1at the Table Topics contest. He eventually ended up as the first runner up at Division I Table Topics contest !

As for Division I International speech contest, it was indeed a tough competition and when Vanessa came on stage as contestant number 5 or last contestant.. I held my breath… Even though I only gave a small piece of advice in the past to Vanessa, I felt like a parent whose child is doing examination… So nervous… not able to think clear…

Flashback : Vanessa's gradual improvement of her speech at previous contests on club and area level... Heartwarming though to see how many fellow JTC-ers gave valuable input and support at any level of the competition.

Flash forward to Division contest: After JTC’s applause and cheers, Vanessa began her speech ! And with each word, my hope grew ! Ah… what great speech structure, great nonverbal delivery and great message of the speech: loud , clear and inspiring ! Could she ? But the competition was so strong !!

At the end of the contest, I went on stage as the Sergeant -at- Arms to announce the winners. I was nervous, as I unfolded the small piece of paper to read the result for the first time… Oh my goodness ! Is this the result ? I did not dare to look at Vanessa, afraid to betray my emotions….

I took a deep breath and shouted : and the winner is: Vanessa Hendriadi ! My face showed a teethless smile but my heart yelled “ Yeah Yeah Yeah !” In the auditorium I saw Jararta Toastmasters Club members on their feet, applauding ! What a feeling ! What a thrill ! What a ride for a contestant and their supporters !

Vanessa, lots of luck at the next contest round: the District 51 International Speech contest in Miri, Malaysia, 21-23 May 2010.

Enjoy the pictures of the conference below.
Besides the International Speech contest and Table Topics contest on Division level, the conference offered 2 workshops by:
- Lieutenant Governor Education and Training- R Mohamad Ariff Azahari from Kuching (Malaysia)
- Steve Bowen from The British Toastmasters Club. (www.stevebowen.com)

The conference was also a great way to network with Toastmasters from other clubs in Jakarta and Bandung (name of club between brackets () ).

Written by DTM Harlina Indra
Jakarta Toastmasters Club VP Public Relations



The American Club's General Manager Yenny Tanudjaja



Briefing Contest Chairs of 4 contests: From left to right
Wivina Tampusari (Kebayoran): Chair Division J International Speech contest
Risti Brophy (Metropolitan): Chair Division I Table Topics contest
Lina Kartasasmita (Kebayoran): Chair Division J Table Topics contest
Mala Hasan (Metropolitan) : Chair Division I International Speech contest
Harlina Indra (Jakarta) : Sergeant - at Arms of the contests
Johan Setiawan (Jakarta Advance) : Chief Judge and Division I Governor





Networking: Area Governor Rosita (The Catalyst), Area Governor Yusuf (Maranatha in Bandung), Area Governor Ani (Essential,) Past Division I Governor Gin Danny (Jakarta Motivators),Lieutenant Governor Marketing (LGM) District 51 DTM Mien Soenari (The Catalyst)



Past Division I Governor DTM Nono Sarwono and Lieutenant Governor Education and Training (LGET) District 51, DTM Mohamad Ariff Azahari



District officers :
Fourth from the left : DTM Wardiman Djojonegoro (Jakarta Motivators)
Far left : assistent Division I governor Marketing : ACS/CL Imung Hikmah (Jakarta)
Third from right: Past Division I Governor DTM Nono Sarwono (Jakarta Bahasa)



The American Club...



Applause from the Essential Toastmasters Club members (in orange)



Your blog updater DTM Harlina Indra in action as the Sergeant- at -Arms/Master of ceremony of the contests.



Division I : International Speech contest Top 3: Fourth from the left (in skirt), the winner, our very own Jakarta Toastmasters Club's VP Education ACB/CL Vanessa Hendriadi



Division I : Table Topics contest Top 3: Third from the left, First runner up ACB/CL Jhonson Sahlan (Jakarta Advance) representing our Area I-1. In the middle: Winner TM Matthew Horkey (The British).



Division J : Table Topics contest : In the middle :
winner ATM Samoati Siringoringo (The Innovators)



Division J : International Speech contest : In the middle :
winner ACB Bhavna Sutrisna Tirtadinata (Kebayoran)



We are all winners !

Comments

Popular Posts